Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Self Sufficient

When asked what my dream is, I often answer "to be as self sufficient as I can be".

However I was thinking today that the word "self" can be misleading.  It almost sounds like its all for selfish gain all about me.

It all started when I looked out the window and saw a neighbours yacht lying on its side on the beach being battered by the stormy weather we had this morning.  Grabbing my waders I headed off to see if I could help.  Four of us were soon waist deep in the advancing tide pushing with all our might to try and turn the boat into the on coming tide and prevent it being pushed further up the rocky beach.  Shoulder to shoulder we worked in the cold water.

We're a community, we help each other.

When a neighbour has too many apples we find a bag at our front door.  A few weeks ago we stripped a neighbours pear tree.  They couldn't eat them all and had no time to do anything with them.  We both now have a row of beautiful spicy Indian pear pickle jars in our kitchen.

Its not so much about me, but being part of a community, coming together with our skills, time, bounty and sharing to create a better life for all.

I have bonded with many off my neighbours while cooking freshly picked mussels over a drift wood beach fire.  Laughed with their kids as we listen to their freshly made sausages sizzling; on an open fire after a day of pig processing.  I've swapped a days work for a pig and I've given porky goodies as payment to others.  We are all different ages, different background, different education even from different continents.  But as a community I wouldn't want to live any where else.

I've been enjoying myself in the kitchen this week too.  Last night we had a special treat.  Figs freshly plucked from our tree, cut in half.  Inside we placed a slither of blue cheese topped with half a walnut (from the tree down the road) wrapped in home cured procuitto.  It was all popped in the oven for a few moments to crisp up the procuitto and served warm.....imagine........

Tonight we turned to the sea.

Paua ( Native Abalone)  freshly gathered from a local sea shore, sliced.  Home cured spicy Spanish chorizo  were lightly sautéed to release the cure and oils.The paua added,browned and seasoned. A home preserved Bounty Of Summer Sauce reduced slowly and finished with a light sprinkling of fresh fennel leaves. 

I knew where every ingredient came from.  I can even see and smell the tomatoes patch that gave up its fat juicy rubies for my sauce.

Such simple delights.

Sufficiently yours

Anna
www.preserved.co.nz


x

3 comments:

  1. Hi Anna
    I love your blog. You are such an expressive writer. Will follow your stories.
    love & hugs
    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting that you are blogging again! :o) Your life sounds idyllic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments guys. Its always good to get feedback and dont forget to say what you might be up to or things you would like me to write about.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete